How To Write A Precis That Amazes Its Reader
For many high-grade students, writing a precis is perhaps the most challenging assignment. Do you know why it seems so? Well, this is because most students are not fully aware of how to write a precis effectively and efficiently.
So, it is only a matter to know this and become an expert precis writer. Here is a brief guide on how to be the same.
What You Should Be Aware of Precis?
A precis is a summary or a brief synopsis of the main points of a published work, such as a dissertation or thesis. Obviously, you may feel like adding some details of it to your own precis, which is fine.
However, it neither can have any paraphrased text nor can it be a long article. Rather, it has to be precise and clear. You need to understand that paraphrasing is not the answer to how to write a precis. This is because the latter does not include all details of the scholar’s work.
A precis always has a clear and brief structure. In other words, there is a format to follow. There is no critical analysis or personal views involved but a brief summing of notions makes up this writeup. You only need to cover the primary points.
Writing Steps to Which All Students Should Adhere to!
You get started by selecting an interesting scholarly work on the targeted topic and then perform profound research and analysis. This is the time to find out how to develop research skills.
For example, you can check out the free digital sources and choose fully accessible articles written by a famous author or reporter. Once you are done with this, the true efforts for writing a precis begin, which are simplified into the following steps to take:
- Start by forming an outline that contains a full structure. You should refer to it whenever you write a new section.
- Jot down all viewpoints on another paper.
- Tell to your reader why you selected this specific topic. This will be the introduction paragraph that will also include the purpose of that author’s work. Here, you need to work as per the instructions are given by your lecturer or teacher. You should not write anything that hooks the reader, as this is pure academic work. Just keep in mind that the introduction is the most important part of your thesis for introducing the author’s work and name.
- Now, the next main part begins! Elucidate the key points and back them with proper evidence. Next, convey the target audience. Doing so provides a whole picture of why you are writing this precis to the readers apart from giving some insights. Your first paragraph should always close with a thesis.
- Start with the next paragraph. It should contain your work summary by expressing only the main arguments or viewpoints.
- Finally, write a short conclusion by emphasizing the significance of the original work.
- Review your writeup.
With these steps on how to write a precis, you will certainly find it now easy to get started. So, are you now ready to take up the challenge?